Captain John H Miller (Tom Hanks), commanding officer of Charlie Company, 2nd Ranger Battalion, and his squad finally arrives on the outskirts of Ramelle, where they destroy a German halftrack with the help of three paratroopers, among them Private James Francis Ryan.
After entering Ramelle, Ryan is told of his brothers' deaths but refuses to leave his band of brothers. Miller decides to stay and help the remaining paratroopers in defending the town from the Germans.
When the Germans arrive in force with over 50 men supported by two Tiger I tanks, two Marder III self propelled guns, a towed FlaK 38 cannon and at least one SdKfz 251 half-track, Miller leads the defense.
At this point, Captain Miller wears only his M1 Helmet with Captain rank markings, Wool Shirt with Captain bars and Infantry collar pins, M1941 Jacket, Web Belt, First Aid Pouch (version 1), First Aid Pouch (version 2), M1911A1 .45 caliber Colt semi-automatic pistol with leather Holster, Water Canteen with Carrier, M3 fighting knife with M8 scabbard, Thompson Ammo Satchel (ammunition bag for his extra Thompson magazines), M1A1 Thompson .45 caliber Sub-Machine Gun, HBT (herringbone twill) Pants, Cloth Leggings and Leather Boots (1943 issued "fleshout" service shoes).
He doesn't have his Ranger Vest (US Army assault vest) with Folding E-Tool and Carrier nor Map Satchel. His gas mask bag and Waist Life Preserver had been discarded at the beach in Normandy (see previous post)
The scene: THE LAST SANDBAG EMPLACEMENT
... and then the TIGER fires its canon. The explosion tears the world apart, spinning it upside-down, ripping the air with heat and shrapnel...
... and everything goes quiet, as if the sound has drained out of the world. We're left with sounds that are remote, faint, surreal, disembodied...
A critically wounded Miller takes aim with his M1911A1 .45 cal Colt semi-automatic pistol...
And the TIGER explodes! as a P-51 Mustang swoops grandly over the bridge. Tank-buster. It peels overhead with a throaty roar of a packard engine.
The bridge and town is secure but Miller doesn't make it home
[Dying words, to Private Ryan] "James... earn this. Earn it."
What has gone before:
Review 1: It's Miller time! Opening of the package and viewing its contents
Review 2: DID Captain "Millers" on June 6, 1944 (D-Day)
- G.I. Joe "Saving Private Ryan" Tom Hanks Figure posted HERE
- DID 1/6 scale 12-inch WWII US Army 2nd Ranger Marksman "Private Daniel" (with Barry Pepper likeness as he appeared in "Saving Private Ryan") - pictures HERE
- Pictures of a bunch of 1/6 scale G.I.s on June 6, 1944: D-Day
- "Saving Private Ryan" - Dragon Captain Miller with customised Tom Hanks headsculpt and kitbashed Private First Class James Francis Ryan (Matt Damon)
- 1/6 scale Matt Damon as Private First Class James Francis Ryan of Baker Company, 1st Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division