Friday, May 15, 2009

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

This package arrived on Wednesday, May 13, 2009 from USA and got me all excited. It has been a very long time since I got stuff from ebay as most of my 'want' items can be obtained locally. This item came about really by chance and I've been wanting what's inside for a very long time and had actually given up hope of getting it.


It's the elusive Harrison Ford as Rick Deckard Blade Runner head sculpt. In the movie, Harrison Ford plays Rick Deckard, a weary, former police officer/bounty hunter who is reluctantly dispatched by the state to search for four android replicants (robotic NEXUS models) that have been created with limited life spans (a built-in fail-safe mechanism in case they became too human).




I had already posted pictures of this figure before - my first post was on September 2, 2007 which was quite brief but had the Police Spinner by Medicom Kubrick (link here), second post on February 8, 2009 with more pictures (link here) - this was the version 1.0 "Android Hunter" head sculpted by Master Ozawa of Japan. When I found out there was a more accurate head sculpt released, I looked for it on ebay but they were all sold complete with figure, attire and accessory which I didn't need. I really just wanted the more accurate Harrison Ford Rick Deckard head and since I thought I couldn't get it, I switched the original head with Sideshow's Harrison Ford Indiana Jones head as it's the only spare head sculpt of Harrison Ford I have (in the process, I was able to do a much more detailed coverage - link here).

So when I found out that they were just selling the version 2.0 head sculpt, I wasn't going to let the opportunity pass. I present to you Toy Syndicate's version 2.0 1/6 scale 12-inch Harrison Ford as Rick Deckard Blade Runner, Android Hunter - ready to "retire" fugitive androids (called replicants in the movie). 

Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford) is divorced, and a retired replicant hunter (they are called 'blade runners') who is brought back into action to kill the returning replicants

The movie takes place in dystopic Los Angeles in 2019 and its theme is on the nature of humanity (what does it mean to be human?) and how to distinguish replicants from humans. Many films have attempted to duplicate the dystopic, cyberpunkish look of "Blade Runner", including "Batman (1989)", "Johnny Mnemonic (1995)", "Strange Days (1995)", "The Fifth Element (1997)", "Dark City (1998)", "The Matrix (1999)" and "I, Robot (2004)" - just to name a few.



Deckard never takes the V-K test and his humanity is questionable - it's likely he's also a replicant (or 'android')

It is a futuristic film noir detective thriller with all its requisite parts - an alienated hero of questionable morality, a femme fatale, airborne police vehicles called "Spinners", dark sets and locations, and a downbeat voice-over narration.

As for me, I'm just glad I finally got my version 2.0 Harrison Ford Rick Deckard head sculpt.

Next up: Rutger Hauer as Roy Batty

9 comments:

Fat Gecko said...

"Lófaszt, nehogy már. Te vagy a Blade ... Blade Runner!"
Congrats for such an excellent find.

alex teo said...

THANKS Fat Gecko - I'm very pleased with it as well :)

Covenant said...

It looks worse than v.1

I have both.

alex teo said...

To each his own, I guess :) I much prefer this head sculpt to the anime-looking version 1 head

Unknown said...

Hey, Do me a favor, Can you please blur out MY address too?!?

alex teo said...

Done & done ;p CHEERS

Unknown said...

Thanks a bunch!

Unknown said...

BTW, Glad I was able to help you with this figure! He does look good!

alex teo said...

thanks for the heads. all the BEST