Monday, February 9, 2009

Rick Deckard, Blade Runner

Harrison Ford as Rick Deckard. Coming off some success with "Star Wars (1977)", "The Empire Strikes Back (1980)" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)", Ford was looking for a role with dramatic depth. After Steven Spielberg praised Ford to Ridley Scott, he was hired for Blade Runner. In 1992, Ford revealed, "Blade Runner is not one of my favorite films. I tangled with Ridley." Apart from friction with the director, Ford also disliked the voiceovers: "When we started shooting it had been tacitly agreed that the version of the film that we had agreed upon was the version without voiceover narration. I thought that the film had worked without the narration. But now I was stuck re-creating that narration. And I was obliged to do the voiceovers for people that did not represent the director's interests." [source: wiki]

I've already covered Toy Syndicate's version in the previous post, but just wasn't too pleased with the head sculpt. I couldn't get the more accurate movie version so I did the best with what I had - I used Sideshow's other head sculpt of Indiana Jones.

In the process, I also did a switch of bodies and it allowed me to do a more complete coverage. Here's Rick Deckard with his basic shirt, tie, pants with belt and holster, plus shoes.

IMHO Sideshow's head sculpt is definitely better than the original


Rick Deckard with his inner coat (don't know what else to call it)

I added a bag just for the fun of it - makes him look just like a regular guy going to work in the morning, except no guy would wear that outlandish shirt and tie

His briefcase can be opened so that he can stuff his papers in


Now this looks more like Rick Deckard, Blade Runner. See how much the trench coat or overcoat makes a BIG difference


The LAPD 2019 Blaster prop used in the movie

A close-up of Toy Syndicate's 1/6 scale version of Rick Deckard's blaster, used to "retire (kill)" escaped replicants on Earth, in this instance four Nexus-6 replicants with Rutger Hauer as Roy Batty, their violent yet thoughtful leader, Daryl Hannah as Pris, a "basic pleasure model" (ooh la la), Zhora (Joanna Cassidy) is an assassin built for martial arts and Leon Kowalski (Brion James), a nuclear fuel loader.




Another view of the die-cast metal blaster

Now the look is complete and I'm quite happy with this outcome :)


Harrison Ford also potrayed Indiana Jones, Han Solo in Star Wars, US President James Marshall in "Air Force One (1997)" and Captain Alexei Vostrikov in "K-19: The Widowmaker (2002)", among the many roles he did.

Updated: Toy Syndicate Harrison Ford as Rick Deckard "Blade Runner" version 2 (pictures here)

Latest entry: August 26, 2009 - Brother Production Blade Hunter HERE


6 comments:

cosmicbaby said...

He looks better now, I have the same figure "somewhere", & have always been looking out for a better Ford HS.
So wat happen to the remains of the Sideshow Indy?

alex teo said...

Hi Marcus, Sideshow Indy is well & good becoz he's still wearing his hat which is what I much prefer, he is "The man with the hat and whip" after all ;) This head sculpt is the spare one that came with the package and was just lying in the box.

Anonymous said...

Alex, Are you using Dragon body for this kitbash?

alex teo said...

hi desmond, not a dragon body as dragon's hands are slightly smaller and does not have the ball joint at the wrist. also, overall not as tall - got this one from roy sometime back (not sure what body type but i know it wasn't Hot Toys either. i believe it is close to BBI's body type). thanks for looking ;>

Anonymous said...

It was certainly interesting for me to read this post. Thanks the author for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to them. I would like to read a bit more soon.

alex teo said...

dear anonymous, you are most welcome :) hope you come back again and visit my blog and read the other posts as well CHEERS