Friday, April 19, 2013

Post #6: Daniel Picard pictures - He makes 1:6 figures look like 1:1 & you'll have to blink twice

Daniel Picard's pictures are now making the rounds on facebook and that is a good thing :) It's about time people sit up and take notice of this extraordinary photographer with 15 years of retouching experience. He enjoys combining 1:6 scale figures with 1:1 scale surroundings and he does them so well that it makes you take a second look and wonder if your eyes are playing tricks on you.

I have the great honor of knowing Daniel Picard through my toy blog since 2010 when he allowed me to post his pictures on Toy Haven so that I can share his stunning work with the world at large and show them what they are missing out on. You can check out the very first post HERE. Since then, He has so kindly sent me pictures on a regular basis for me to post and share on Toy Haven.

Click on the picture for a BIGGER and BETTER view :)

Daniel has also written a little info about each photo / picture posted (it lets you in on the man himself and you get to appreciate the person behind the lens): "Batman Graffiti (picture above) was a classic Sergio Aragones cartoon in my 1st ever Mad magazine my parents bought me as a kid and the 1st photo I thought of when I received the dx12 was to redo that cartoon that I still remembered 25 years later." This particular picture has been popping up on facebook most recently.


"Bat/Pred is the 1st time I'm using the macro lens - I figured a way of using it more like a movie camera lens but since it's a macro, I can get seriously close to the amazing works of art that are our toys - this one was basically a test to see what I could do with the lens"

Click on the picture for a BIGGER and BETTER view :)

"Hostage Rescue is the 1st time I make use of my lifesize props - it's a repainted nerf gun I did during the summer (I did 3 of them so far) - so I'm really happy that it photographs as good as it did since I had no idea how it would turn out painting it at night in my office"

Click on the picture for a BIGGER and BETTER view :)

"Apaches are the 1st time I'm using one of my creations in the mix - they're 1/48 scale models that I built and painted so that's pretty cool and kinda like a tip of the iceberg since I've got plans for a lot of different vehicles to be used in future shots as background elements"

Click on the picture for a BIGGER and BETTER view :)

"and lastly - the most complicated one I've ever done I think - the Battle Droid Toilet Break was so hard that I wouldn't have even thought of trying it last year - the crazy angle, the small room, the multiple light sources (real and a flash), the life-size book - it was a planning nightmare especially since I was all alone shooting this but it was my 36th photo so I learned a few tricks along the way - so yeah, pretty proud of this one"

Click on the picture for a BIGGER and BETTER view :)

Kudos Dan :) Thanks for sharing these beautifully taken pictures with us. Not to blow his trumpet or anything but Mr Anzalone, President of Sideshow Collectibles himself contacted Dan recently and bought large prints for the office - how COOL is that! So many people in Sideshow working for the President on all those projects trying to make their figures look as realistic as possible but he goes out and order prints from Dan. I think that's quite a compliment.

You can check out his website www.danielpicard.com for more pictures :) He doesn't just shoot toys. Daniel Picard takes very nice pictures of people, places and things as well. Go to his facebook page and like it as well.

Daniel Picard's pictures featured in my earlier posts:
Sept 10, 2010 - Post #1: Meet Daniel Picard, Photographer Extraordinaire
Nov 12, 2010 - Post #2: More STUNNING Daniel Picard pictures!
Jan 12, 2011 - Post #3: Popbots, MOPP, WWII, Stormtrooper and Beachhead!
May 9, 2011 - Post #4: Ninja, Star Wars Imperial Stromtrooper, Iron Man and friends
Nov 11, 2012 - Post #5: Popbot, 3A Ambush, Hot Toys Terminator, Battle Droids

1 comment:

rudeboy said...

I only remembered you featured him before when I saw his pic with the bots in his truck.

So cool! I've only recently started collecting Ashley Wood figures so it was a real treat to see so many of them featured in his work.

Great work! Very inspiring.