Thursday, June 17, 2010

Knight and Day

No ;p This isn't about the action comedy film starring Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz BUT to show the difference in details between a 1/6 scale 12-inch Medieval Knight in full armor and a Playmobil version. The differences are as night and day. I'd blogged about the very detailed Cotswold Collectibles Medieval Knight armored figure in an earlier post HERE

Now let's take a look at a Playmobil Knight. Grew up with some of these figures as a kid and they still strike a chord in me every time I walk past a shop that sells Playmobil. The prices of these things still astound me though; the bigger sets are really costly. Keeping in mind that these are toys targeted at children (unlike Hot Toys collectibles meant for adults), they seem to be priced rather high if one wants to have an entire pirate ship or castle or fort.

This is the PLAYMOBIL® set #3890 - Barons Knight, released in 1997. This black knight came with his pet dog, armor, sword and shield.


The visor on his helmet can be raised and lowered to protect his face


Hans Beck, "The Father of PLAYMOBIL®", had spend three years developing the product since 1971 before they were introduced at the International Nürnberg Toy Fair in 1974. A Dutch firm subsequently agreed to buy a whole year's production and Playmobil began to be sold worldwide in 1975.




11 comments:

LEon said...

This suppose to form a set with a catapult right? I love the pet with them for each figure.

I always have a weak spot for playmobil knight version. just love the armor. I should review some new Playmobil I get too soon. LOL

alex teo said...

hi leon, this was a single figure box set without the catapult.

i think secretly we all like playmobil in some form or other :) hope to see pictures of yours soon.

Juliana said...

Very nice all angle photos of this figure you've got there! :D

I collect LEGO knights, but they are very small to photograph so clearly :P

Waiting to see your 1/6 scale 12-inch Medieval Knight in full armor! :)

alex teo said...

Hi Juliana, time to get a new camera since it is the Great Singapore Sale XD Ha! Ha! Mine is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 (any newer model from this series will do nicely ;p)

You can view pictures of the 1/6 scale Medieval Knight at the link attached: http://toyhaven.blogspot.com/2010/05/elite-brigade-16-scale-medieval-knight.html

CHEERS

Juliana said...

My new camera is an Olympus, supposedly blessed by the Greek Gods! I think I need to work on my toy phototaking skill, LOL! :P

alex teo said...

That should put you in good standing, then :) you know what the gods say,"Practice! Practice! Practice!" Ha Ha

Darius Whiteplume said...

I do love the Playmobil.

playmobil hospital said...

Many of the modern Playmobil toys have additional features such as flashing lights or sirens and help add an extra touch of realism to imaginative play.

alex teo said...

yup and they cost a whole lot more too ;p

Anonymous said...

Playmobil is fantastic, check, if you want, my gallery, dedicated only for playmobil, all my pics are my collection! Great knigth, from nineties! Thanks:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/limonin2/

Anonymous said...

Hi!, i love playmobil since i can remember. This Knight is fantastic, i dont have it, but its great. i have a photo gallery of my own collection in flickr, if you wanna chek it this is the link, thanks:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/limonin2/