Saturday, September 10, 2011

B is also for Batman – Michael Keaton Batman

This is the Kenner 1992 "Batman Returns" Bruce Wayne action figure with Quick Change Batman Armor!

Back in the 1990s, few of the Batman actors had ever received a movie-accurate plastic translation. Toy companies don't always receive the rights to actors' likenesses along with the general franchise. A high quality effort usually requires complicated laser scanning procedures. Sometimes it's just not worth the trouble for a toy marketed at the prepubescent crowd.


That all changed with the release of the 1989 BATMAN film! In the months pre-dating Batman's release in June 1989, a popular culture phenomenon rose known as "Batmania". Over $750 million worth of merchandise was sold. Cult filmmaker and comic book writer Kevin Smith remembered, "That summer was huge. You couldn't turn around without seeing the Bat-Signal somewhere. People were cutting it into their f***ing heads. It was just the summer of Batman and if you were a comic book fan it was pretty hot."



Kenner followed up with their series of BATMAN 3-3/4 inch figures based on the movie. This Kenner 1992 "Batman Returns" Bruce Wayne action figure sported a surprisingly accurate likeness of Michael Keaton. It also came with a full slate of accessories, allowing you to deck out Keaton in full Batman attire.


This is basic 3-3/4 inch Michael Keaton as Bruce Wayne, wearing what looks like a black long sleeve sweater with a cool bat insignia rendered in red on his left chest and back pants and shoes.


And these are what Bruce Wayne needs to transform into BATMAN - bat cowl and cape, chest armor, bat gloves and boots.


[Batman dangles a mugger over the side of a building]
Nic: Don't kill me! Don't kill me, man! Don't kill me! Don't kill me, man!
Batman: I'm not going to kill you. I want you to do me a favor. I want you to tell all your friends about me.
Nic: What are you?
Batman: I'm Batman.


And here's the Kenner 1992 3-3/4 inch Michael Keaton Bruce Wayne action figure outfitted in full Batman costume, ready to take on the bad guys that threaten Gotham City


I like the cloth cape with the see-through effect although that's not movie-accurate


Of the two gloves that Batman has on him, one comes with a molded batarang. The plastic bat cowl is attached to the non-removable cloth cape.


Another accessory included was a hand-held radio. The huge bat-like thing in front is actually the Capture Cuffs from the Kenner 1992 "Batman Returns" Shadow Wing Batman set. The set consisted of a Batman action figure with pop arm arms attached to a removable cloth cape and this Capture Cuffs accessory.


22 years on (since 1989 when BATMAN first appeared on the big screen), we are finally going to get our hands on a true movie masterpiece that is as accurate and as close to the actual figure that we saw: it's the Hot Toys DX09 1/6th scale Batman Collectible Figure featuring the likeness of renowned actor Michael Keaton from the Batman movie in 1989 directed by Tim Burton. Check out my post HERE for preview pictures of this AWESOME Batman 12-inch figure that will be released in the first quarter of 2012!

5 comments:

Super-Duper ToyBox said...

they did a good job on this. that movie was pivotal for me and my appreciation for the interior of my imagination & suspense of disbelief when appreciating a comic book or superhero movie. cool stuff

alex teo said...

i think BATMAN made a deep impact on many people who have an eye for the Arts. it was the biggest thing of its time for many. that's why Hot Toys recent announcement of their 1989 Batman figure's release is generating so much buzz

Anonymous said...

I hope HT make a Batman Returns figure with Penguin & Catwoman. It's been a great time being a HT & Bat fan & it's looking even better with the 89 Batmobile on the horizon. I just hope I can get an opportunity to get the Tumbler now it's in Rises. I would like a Val Kilmar Batman to & even though I wasn't much of a fan of the character in the films I'd like a Robin figure to :)

Anonymous said...

I had this figure as a kid. I remember taking him everywhere. Even after I lost the boots and gloves and eventually ripped the cape I remember this toy like I had it yesterday!

alex teo said...

Thanks for sharing your memories :) Toys are special in that way