Monday, September 26, 2011

Hot Toys: 1/6th scale Hall of Armor collectible PREVIEW

Just like Sidehshow Collectibles, Hot Toys is also moving into the movie props business and their latest offering is the 1/6th scale Tony Stark's Hall of Armor collectible, most suitable for their extended Iron Man line of 12-inch collectible figures. These are the display cases we see in the Iron Man movies where Tony Stark parks his armor figures when they are not in use. Obviously he has more than one and that just means that you have to buy one for every Iron Man figure you collect if you want to use this to display your Iron Man figures.


If these look vaguely familiar to you or the images gave you a sense of déjà vu, it's because another company had already put out similar images on the internet. Oribi Custom had released pictures of their Action Figure Display Stage just about a week earlier before Hot Toys released their pictures for preview. You can view the Oribi Custom Display Stage in my earlier post HERE.



No pricing has been released yet and everyone is waiting with bated breath to see how much these are going to cost and how much they'll be set back by buying display cases for their Hot Toys 1/6 scale Iron Man figures. So what do we do? Spend money to buy display cases or buy more 1/6 figures instead? If money is not an issue, then we'll buy both and two of everything BUT most of us do have limited budgets and all these just adds to the decision-making process. In the end, just be happy with what you have :) You really can't have everything and if you find yourself chasing after everything (the things you don't have) instead of enjoying the things you do have, you will never be satisfied and never happy. Where's the FUN in that?


Something is wrong with the picture above right? Tony Stark never did recover the Mark I from the desert and I don't recall seeing the Mark I armor being displayed in his premises. I suppose Hot Toys just wanted to show us that you can display the Mark I inside the Hall of Armor if you so choose as most of us will feel that the Mark I is in fact wider than all the versions that came after it. Even then, it looks to be a rather tight fit and the next question is: What do we do about War Machine? Hot Toys Hall of Armor display cases don't seem to be tall enough.

4 comments:

woontze said...

Hi Alex,

Stark actually did displayed Mark I to IV in the movie. If my memory serves me well, when he first started up the system, there's a holographic text above Mark I that says "reconstructed" or something similar. Will have to watch the movie again to confirm. He also displayed the Mark III with a new helmet together with the battle damaged suit.

I was actually thinking of purchasing those bases seperately and construct my own "Hall of Armor", I guess this saves me the trouble. :)

Fizzgig said...

Would be interesting to know if Hot Toys rushes these out just as a reaction to the Oribi Customs or if it was planned anyway ...
Actually Tony Stark had the Mark I at display (you can see it here http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/first-iron-man-2-image1.jpg)
Somewhere in the movie it says "Reconstruction" or something like this on a display. So it seems Tony has a lot of time to rebuild old suits ;-)

alex teo said...

Thanks guys :) I stand corrected. Always glad to know there are the faithful Iron Man fans who point these things out. Now looking at the picture from the link Fizzgig provided, I think Oribi Custom got it more right than Hot Toys. The display case should be higher.

Ninoy said...

Hey bro thanks for your post, this helped me on my descision to let go my preorder for HOA set of 7..

You said it precisely "BUT most of us do have limited budgets and all these just adds to the decision-making process. In the end, just be happy with what you have :) You really can't have everything and if you find yourself chasing after everything (the things you don't have) instead of enjoying the things you do have, you will never be satisfied and never happy. Where's the FUN in that? "