Tuesday, January 27, 2015

AMZ Toys 1/6 scale American gangster the first chapter: The king of brooklyn AKA "Z" is not DAM

We all know the famous saying / idiom: "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" meaning that "Copying someone is flattering because it shows you want to be like that person". Unfortunately, sometimes the results do not measure up to the best intentions. Case-in-point: this upcoming product from AMZ Toys - a 1/6 scale American Gangster the first chapter: The king of brooklyn AKA "Z".

DAM Toys has been highly successful with their 1/6 scale Gangsters Kingdom series, having already produced and released a total of eight 12-inch figures so far, six regular releases and two exclusives (limited production run sold at toy fairs). You can check out the review I posted of the most recently released figure, Dam Toys Gangsters Kingdom 1/6 scale "Diamond 3" 12-inch figure on my toy blog HERE and HERE.


AMZ Toys hopes to emulate DAM Toys' success by producing a rival line along the Gangsters' theme which DAM has managed to run away with. Too bad AMZ seems to have fallen short of the yardstick in terms of quality and skill. I'm just not jumping at this as I did when I first saw the preview pictures of DAM Toys Spade J figure (posted HERE). The final delivered product was just as good looking as the prototype. You can check out my reviews of the DAM Toys Gangsters Kingdom 1/6 scale "Spade J" 12-inch figure (an animated / stylized Jason Statham) HERE, HERE and HERE.

AMZ is trying for a stylized Jay-Z 12-inch figure but the 1/6 scale head sculpt looks more like Bill Duke. It's "A" for effort but the final prototype does not resonate well with me. Scroll down to see the rest of the pictures. Be sure to click on them for bigger and better views.



AMZ Toys No. AG001 1/6 scale American gangster the first chapter: The king of brooklyn AKA "Z" will come with 1/6 scale head sculpt, 12-inch figure body, Baseball cap, Basketball vests, Jacket, Black cowboy pants, Blue jeans, belt, black T-shirt, wave shoes, Necklace x 2, Sunglasses, Silver DE x 2 (Desert Eagle), Microphone, interchangeable hands x 6


7 comments:

Kaido said...

Oh wow, just... wow. Go back to the drawing board... Got to agree with you Alex, DAM Toys doesn't have anything to worry about yet!

Btw, I finally received my Spade J limited edition figure today, I'm looking forward to opening it up one of these evenings.

alex teo said...

Glad you got your exclusive Spade J, Kaido :) all I can say is "ENJOY!"

humanbeingill said...

I like those sneakers!

AG Lanc said...

Hmmm I wish the facial screening was better. I like the concept and his attire. Permission to repost?

alex teo said...

Hi AG Lanc, of course you can repost :) regarding the face, I believe they were trying for the animated / stylized expression. Cheers

Unknown said...

Everything but that head is sweet. That's alright, I can sculpt my own!

alex teo said...

@Bill Kern, I'm green with envy... but seriously, that's some talent you got there (two thumbs UP!)