Tuesday, December 29, 2009

2009 Top Ten Fave Toys Countdown 1

It's that time of the year again where I take stock of all the toys I've bought from January 2009 and do a list of the top ten toys in my book - just my own personal opinion of course. This tradition was started last year (see my 2008 Top Ten list HERE) by a very good pal and so the tradition continues year on year.

Before we go on, I realized that I couldn't really narrow it down to just ten so I'm going by categories. That way, I can group them up nicely.

Number TEN (10) on the list happens to be Medicom Toys action figures. Medicom does produce some pretty nice stuff but their HIGH prices and SMALL sizes are a big letdown :(

Three of the Medicom 1:6 figures I got this year - Medicom RAH (Real Action Heroes) "Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater" Naked Snake (Cold War version) [ Full Review HERE ], Medicom RAH Captain Harlock (キャプテンハーロック Kyaputen Hārokku) (version 2.0) from Galaxy Express 999 [ reviewed earlier HERE ] and Medicom Star Wars Episode IV Han Solo [ lots more pictures HERE ]. Two space pirates and one not-so-Naked Snake


My resolution - stay away from Medicom Toys!!

Number NINE (9) - Enterbay "24" Jack Bauer. I only have two Enterbay 12-inch figures, the other being Bruce Lee from "Game of Death" (full review HERE). I'm extremely happy with the Enterbay Bruce Lee but their 1:6 scale Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland) didn't live up to my expectations :{ While the head sculpt is GREAT, everything else just wasn't up to par.

Most annoying of all is the size - Enterbay "24" Jack Bauer (reviewed HERE) is simply too small and too short to stand with any other 1:6 figure, except maybe Medicom 12-inch figures. Enterbay figures don't come cheap either. I would buy Hot Toys anytime (why? because they offer value-for-money and great attention to detail) but this would probably be my last Enterbay figure.

Accompanying Jack is Bourne wearing some of Very Hot CIA (Afghanistan) uniform set and Jason (both head sculpts are by Loading Toys, one of the new 1:6 manufacturers to jump onto the bandwagon this year and offer us more 12-inch choices)

Number EIGHT (8) - Independent companies have risen to offer us alternative 12-inch figures other than the popular and much pricier ones offered by Hot Toys. Besides Léon (Heroic "Perfection Killer"), there was Triad Toys "Wanted: Dead or Alive" 1/6 scale 12" Josh Randall (Steve McQueen) Action Figure (more pictures HERE) and Brother Production "Blade Hunter" (obviously another 1/6 scale 12-inch Rick Deckard Blade Runner action figure from the science fiction film "Blade Runner (1982)")

These 1:6 guys are much taller too, taller than the average (G.I.) Joe and they definitely tower over Medicom and Enterbay figures, almost like Goliath and David.

The countdown continues in the next post.

2 comments:

desmond said...

Wah!! Medicom Captain Harlock is damn awesome!! LEON the professional is my 2009 list as well.

Shaun said...

One of the lists I most look forward to every year. Thanks for posting, my guru! Totally agree with the independent companies entry, they had a very good showing this year.