Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009 Top Ten Fave Toys Countdown 2

Continuing my countdown of top 10 favorites of 2009 (see previous post)

Number SEVEN (7) - DiD has been producing and releasing quite a number of GREAT 1:6 World War II military figures with quite superb head sculpts. I've slowed down on my military collection, especially in the area of the Second World War but I just could not resist picking up these two DiD military figures this year - a 1:6 scale 12-inch Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg (played by Tom Cruise in the 2008 historical thriller film "Valkyrie" set in Nazi Germany during World War II) and WWII US Army 2nd Ranger Marksman "Private Daniel" (with a resemblance to Barry Pepper, the actor who played Private Daniel Jackson in "Saving Private Ryan")

I've also added Private First Class James Francis Ryan [ Matt Damon in "Saving Private Ryan (1998)" ] to showcase the Toys City World War II 1/6 scale US 101st Airborne Division uniform and accessories set (more pictures HERE)


Number SIX (6) - Indiana Jones continues to make it to the top ten list even though the only Jones figure I got was the Sideshow Collectibles 1/6 scale 12-inch Henry Jones Sr figure from "The Last Crusade" (see my post HERE). I'd kitbashed an Indiana Jones in German disguise figure earlier in August using Sideshow Collectibles Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford) head sculpt and the Dragon 1:6 12-inch WWII “Jürgen”, Reichsführer Grenadier (Schütze) box set which I got this year. That's not Elsa Schneider, the Nazi spy, at the rear but Hot Toys Collector's Edition MMS92 (Movie Masterpiece Series) 1/6 scale 12-inch Silken Floss (Scarlett Johansson) Female Action Figure from "The Spirit (2008)" movie


Number FIVE (5) - Daniel Craig is also in the top ten list, thanks to his exploits as James Bond 007 in "Quantum of Solace" and as Tuvia Bielski in "Defiance (2008)". I really liked the head sculpt of Daniel Craig done by DiD although my kitbash of Tuvia Bielski (1:6 Daniel Craig head sculpt by Loading Toys) did prompt a very positive response from Tuvia's grandson in America.

Brendon says, "Hi Alex.. My name is Brendon Rennert. I am the Grandson of Tuvia Bielski. I was looking around the internet and saw your Tuvia Bielski (Daniel Craig) doll and wanted to know if you sell them. Its pretty incredible that you would do this figure. If you asked my Grandfather when he was alive if he believed a doll would ever have been made in his likeness, he would have laughed. He was indeed a great man."


Five down and five to go...

4 comments:

desmond said...

Very excited to see your top 3 favourite figures :)

alex teo said...

ha! ha! desmond, hope you won't be disappointed

Shaun said...

DID sure produced some wonderful figures and more important, sculpts this year. Can't wait to check out number one! My bets on HT/HT Iron Man!

alex teo said...

yo shaun, no matter how good DID is, Hot Toys is still better! if only it was easier on the pocket - ha! ha!